Weekly Service Time: Sundays 2nd, 4th & 5th at 10.30am (1st & 3rd at St Philip & St James)
Address: School Street, Witton-le-Wear, Bishop Auckland, DL14 0AS
Witton le Wear is a small, welcoming chapel which shares services with the neighbouring Anglican church.
Methodists first met together in Witton le Wear around 1812, in the home of Thomas Pybourn.
The number of Witton le Wear Methodists increased due to the migration of people from the redundant lead mines of Weardale and beyond, to the new industries of south west Durham and around 1830, the Primitive Methodist Society was formed in the village.
The Primitive Methodist Chapel was erected in 1850.
The Armstrong family have been very much synonymous with Witton le Wear Methodist Chapel,
The Chapel and Sunday School room are still in regular use, the Chapel being used every other Sunday, alternating with services in St Philip and St James Parish Church.
The Sunday School is used every month by the Woman's Institute and the Flower Club and other events are held during the year.